1. Purchase a custom domain name. From Godaddy or any other.
2. Visit the Google Apps site here.
3. Click “Start Free Trial” and then enter your basic information in the steps that follow to create your account.
4. You’ll have the option to set up your account the “Express” or “Custom” way. I recommend Express — it’s really quick!
5. Now you need to “verify” your domain name. The easiest way in my opinion, is to “insert an HTML tag into your site’s home page” — easier than it sounds, promise. :) To do this, you need to copy a provided code into your website’s <head> section. Many WordPress themes, such as Headway and Genesis, have a space for this (in Headway, it’s under Headway>>Options >>Scripts/Analytics>>Header Scripts). If you can’t find it, then there’s a plugin you can install here that will provide an easy-to-edit <head> section. Then, just copy the code that Google provides in that section.
6. Click “verify”
7. Once you’re done, login to your Google Apps account and click “Users.” There, you’ll see the option to add new users (i.e. custom email addresses!). Adding new users is $5 per user, per month or $50 for the year. This is totally worth it to me.
8. That’s it! You’re done! Enjoy!